A next-generation direct thermal coating technology free of phenolic developers (BPA, BPS, and other phenols).
APPLETON, WI – Today, Appvion introduces its new, sustainable, patent-pending Next Generation Technology direct thermal coating that is free of phenolic developers including BPA, BPS, and other phenols. Next Generational Technology coating creates heat-stable, legible, dark images on paper and film labels, tickets, tags, and point-of-sale applications while complying with environmental regulations and corporate sustainability initiatives.
“We all care about the safety of the products that we engage with every day, and the introduction of Next Generation Technology demonstrates Appvion’s commitment to creating a sustainable, healthy future for our teammates, customers, and family members,” says Appvion CEO, Paul Charapata.
Appvion is coordinating with its customers to convert its entire product portfolio to this sustainable, Next-Generation Technology over the next year. The following direct thermal paper face stocks are currently coated with the new chemistry –
- Résiste® 185 – A top-coated, direct thermal face stock that is resistant to oil, heat, and room temperature plasticizers used in short-term weigh scale, retail, and logistic label applications.
- Résiste® 15% PCW – A recycled, top-coated paper label face stock that includes at least 15% post consumer waste and performs like a virgin fiber product.
- Résiste® Rx – A durable top-coated, direct thermal paper label face stock engineered for pharmacy prescription labels.
- Wavex® PD – A heat-stable, durable top-coated paper face stock designed for package delivery labels that are scanned with near-infrared scanners up to 670 nm.
- CleanSlate™ Film – A direct thermal film label facestock that delivers environmental durability and heat stability for indoor and outdoor applications made with more natural components.
“Appvion is building on our incredible 115-year history with our latest innovation, added Paul Charapata, Appvion CEO. “I am extremely proud of our innovative team for developing Next Generation Technology that delivers enhanced performance and sustainability. The best direct thermal product in the world is now even better.”
Appvion’s direct thermal papers and films are used worldwide in pressure-sensitive labels, linerless labels, tickets, and tags within retail, grocery, warehousing, e-commerce, and gaming applications. For more information about Appvion’s Next Generation Technology and direct thermal coated products, please visit appvion.com or contact an Appvion sales representative.
Appvion is a pioneer in the specialty and high-performance coatings market, based in Appleton, Wisconsin. Appvion’s coating solutions are applied to a wide variety of flexible substrates, including products from an FDA-compliant facility. Primary product offerings include direct thermal labels and film solutions and renewable, fiber-based consumer and industrial packaging solutions.